Saturday, November 19, 2011

So smelly!

One of my biggest pet peeves is when my house smells bad. Especially the homes of people who have lower incomes, have animals or they are just an average family and their home smells like god knows what (or some combo of the three). I'm not saying they're bad people, it just makes me want to vomit whenever I go over to their house or I smell their house smell on them.

It makes me wonder what is going on? Is it really that difficult to do an incredibly good deep clean of your house every year and to just generally keep your house really well cleaned? I know that cleaning products can be expensive, but that's what dollar stores and discount stores are for.

I am aware that the smell of someone's may be due to the building itself because of mold and what not but that doesn't really constitute you not being able to at least try and keep the smell down.

Personally, once a year, I will go bat shit crazy and clean the house like a mad women. I'll wash all the drapes, scrub down the floors and walls, move everything to the center of the floor if I need to. Dust every CD, Book, nook and cranny. Get rid of any food that's been in the cabinets for more than a year, get rid of any of my stuff that I don't use and donate it to goodwill. Just clean everything. If I can afford it, I'll even have the carpets cleaned and get the fabric covered furniture cleaned professionally if I can. Once all is said and done, I'll febreez everything and spray all hard surfaces down with lysol and open all the doors and windows and let some fresh air in.

Then like once a month or so, I will do a basic dusting, cleaning the bathroom/ shower/ kitchen/ windows and stuff pretty well. Then like every week, I will vacuum, change the sheets, clean Herman's (guinea pig) cage, sweep. Then like daily, I'll pick up, clean up, laundry and sweep up as I need too.

I get that not everybody's schedule allows them to clean as well as they need to, but make time! I honestly would rather get an hour less of sleep just to know that I am going to come home to a clean house that doesn't smell to high heaven and I can be comforatable.

Most people who come to my house, wouldn't guess that I had pets if they didn't already know we had a dog and a guinea pig. It's honestly not that hard to take the time to keep your home clean. I hate chores just as much as the next person but it really makes you feel good when you know your home is clean. Plus, what will other people think of you if your house smells badly?

No comments:

Post a Comment