Monday, November 14, 2011

What do you want to do when you graduate college?

Tonight as I've been thinking back on people asking me "So, what do you want to do after you graduate college?" and I never know how to answer. I'm just going to have my associate degree. I don't have a major. The only thing that I can see myself doing and that I actually enjoy is theatre. Will I ever make a living from doing theatre? I kind of doubt it unless I join the technical theatre union here in Sarasota, which I have been seriously considering. There are other things that I am interested in of course but "what I want to do with my life," I'm not sure other than wanting to do theatre.

To me it just seems like such a silly question in a way but I feel like an idiot because I don't know how to answer the question. And when I think of how others might answer the question, I imagine someone saying, "Well, I'm going to apply for a few internships, and work my way towards being hired with this company and work my way up the ladder and become the CEO and get married and have 10 kids and retired by the time I'm 36 and live in a mansion and help the children in africa and.....!" I just can't see myself planning out "what I want to do" like that. I mean if I do end up in a position of leadership in whatever I do, then I'll be very happy with what I would have achieved as long as I'm able to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head and I am happy with where I am at and I can help people when and however I can.

I just want to see where life takes me.


No comments:

Post a Comment