Sunday, December 25, 2016

The start of a "fat" vegan's journey

About 3 months ago, I became vegan because of some health issues I've been having. About a year and a half ago, I was admitted to the hospital because I was having a severe gallbladder attack, towards the end of my hospital visit (I was in the hospital for 6 days), I was physically feeling better, so, the surgeon refused to remove my gallbladder. Once discharged, I was still sick on a daily basis. I was vomiting at least once a day and I was eating very minimally and lost about 50 pounds. I was still eating animal products on a regular basis, which I now believe is what was making me feel sick.

I switched to a vegan diet because I found that I wasn't feeling sick on a daily basis and kneeling over the porcelain throne every night. Plus, I was tired of trying to work with my insurance and doctors to try and get my gallbladder removed. Am I still trying to work with my health insurance and primary care doctor to remove my gallbladder? Yes AND it's a less pressing issue because I'm not putting things into my body that my system can't handle digesting.

I have found that once I got going on learning new recipes and having a few staple recipes that I cook regularly and having a good variety nutritionally, I am saving some money by skipping the animal products when I'm grocery shopping. I don't miss any of it to be honest. I'm not going to deny the fact when I see something that I think LOOKS yummy but that doesn't mean I WANT it. I hear allot of people say that they "don't know how" to cook vegan dishes. I have a simple answer. Google. Use the internet, there's a reason we have it at our fingertips. There are facebook groups galore and countless vegan cookbooks and blogs. You don't ALWAYS have to buy USDA organic either. If you can't afford it, the "regular" stuff still is very nutritional.

Another reason I switched to this lifestyle is because I want to lessen animal suffering and lower my negative impact on the planet. I'm only one person you say? Honestly? Assuming I live to 80, in the next 52.5 years, I can make a dent in lowering my impact, even if it's just a little bit.

I'm not going to just talk about my diet in this blog, I'm going to talk about many aspects of how I choose to live. reduce, reuse, Recycling, how I clean my house and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment